Thursday, August 26, 2010

some personal history

My father died at 93, my mother 6 years later at 94.

From the time he was about 70 he totally stopped thinking about politics, "world issues", local issues, etc., etc., etc. He was not registered to vote, nor was my mother. He stopped after 1972.

Whenever I'd ask him about it, his response was, "It's all a crock of s*@t. Doesn't make a difference if I vote or not." I was horrified. How could he say that?

Years pass -- I'm now 71 -- I'm beginning to come around to his way of thinking. We gear up, elect Obama, and discover he does not have a clue. Even when he does do something, it's like he's afraid to talk about it too much. He sets up the "Cat Food Commission" to "study" Social Security -- and packs it with people who only want to abolish it. He seems afraid of doing ANYTHING that will upset his MASTERS.

I'm beginning to understand what my father meant. I'm beginning to understand how his years of experience made him such a cynic.

He was reasonably well off -- so it did not matter to him what was going on. He had simple tastes and didn't want, or need, "The LATEST" anything.

I think he was right -- we are sliding toward a totalitarian state -- and the very people who yell the loudest about "LIBERTY" are totally in favor of it.

It seems to be "Liberty" for the rich -- the hell with "the little people".

No comments: