Monday, April 9, 2018

Cecil has died.  I remember well when I first heard him   ---   he must have been "woodsheding" (working out his sounds, practising, etc) in a little Greenwich Village coffeeshop named The Cafe Raffio.  At first it was somewhat annoying  --  then I just let his sounds wash over me.  Something I remember to this day.  I was with Jon Oliver Gaines, a good friend, and a fine folksinger.  Antway, Cecil was a true pioneer, a fine pianio player, another Jazz Giant we have lost.  I really am old when those in the avant-garde pass away before me.  Where to now?




"Air" - 00:00 "This Nearly Was Mine" - 08:45 "Port Of Call" - 19:40 "E.B." - 24:05 "Lazy Afternoon" - 34:04 Personnel :- Cecil Taylor: piano Buell Neidlinger: bass Denis Charles: drums Archie Shepp: tenor saxophone

No comments: