Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Equal Rights

I live in the USA. I was born in the USA. I've worked my entire life. I've paid taxes, raised a family, done all the "right" things.

Now, I'm almost 71, live with another old woman, and NOW, after all this time, I'm no longer entitled to all the rights other U.S. Citizens take for granted.

We are a "same sex couple" -- doesn't really matter what our "living arrangement" is.

In fact, it is no ones business what it is. We keep up our property, pay our bills, pay our homeowners association dues (in Texas failure to do that might just be a capital offense), and wave hello to whatever neighbors we see.

We don't scare either the horses or the children.

Yet, for the first time in my life we are no longer EQUAL.

Isn't that stupid? Isn't it dumb? Does it make any sense, no matter how you look at it?

No, it does not.

When I say that, those opposed say stuff like "disease" -- hell, we are two old women - we neither drink nor smoke. We have never had a wild party (at least not in the past 12-15 years). So, that argument is out.

Then they talk about The Bible -- but I don't go to your church, do not WANT to go to your church, have no interest in your religion -- so, why should your religious practices affect me?

It makes no sense. Does it?

No comments: