Thursday, November 11, 2010

Late Night

It's very late -- I can't sleep. If I try to read -- it's just more of the same. All sorts of very good writers spelling out things that are wrong with this country.

They approach the issue from different directions. they are smart, witty, some write very well.

In my very simplistic way, I've said we are in trouble for years. When GWB started running up his huge deficits -- I was alarmed.

Why?

Simple, one of the easiest ways to pay down a debt is to cheapen the money. That's what we have done for years. Just look -- N.Y. subway fare has gone from 5 cents to $2.25 in my lifetime. When I was in college, a Rye and soda was 40 cents, there were still bars that sold 5 cent draft beer. I have no idea what all that stuff costs today -- but -- I did read about $15.00 cocktails. At those prices, I couldn't afford to even become an alcoholic (don't worry, I would have found a way).

Anyway, back to the subject ----- when I spoke about inflation -- I was laughed off a number of different lists.

They were right -- our "leaders" will save the dollar, and squeeze every dollar from the soon to be extinct middle class and the poor. Transfer all the wealth up -- then, no matter what happens, THEY are safe. They have a cushion, they will be safe -- and we will have to come to them hat in hand.

Will the "Tea Party Thugs" ever wise up? Will it be enough for them to be able to lord it over us former solid citizens? Will they be the equivalent of capos in the death camps? Will the roundup of "undesirables" be run by "Tea Party Stalwarts"? When will they be purged?

The Religious-Right-Wing-Konservatives want a theocracy. They want "biblical law". As far as I can see, the corporate overlords would most likely favor that level of control over their "employees" -- as long as THEY were not subject to it (sort of the way gay republicans are protected -- until they come out, or are caught doing REALLY stupid things.

The only person who has put forth any sort of idea to combat this is Ted Rall -- and the supposed "liberals" damn near shit their pants, while all the Konservatives talked about how much ammo they have, how many guns they have, how they would kick our asses.

Perhaps they are correct right now -- but I don't know what will happen as things get worse.

I listen to the radio, watch TV, read books -- as I said, it's all the same crap. Everyone has a laundry list of all the things that are wrong.

NO ONE puts out any possible solutions. They say Obama has to grow a spine, grow some balls, etc., etc., etc. At the same time they also say none of the possible remedies can possibly be passed. NO ONE calls for cuts in the defense budget (except for Rand Paul). No one actually says, "BRING ALL THE TROOPS HOME". No one -- right or left wants to rock the boat. The Republicans say they want to -- but they never have before. When they really tried -- they were repudiated by the electorate.

All the millions who demonstrated against the WARS were ignored. MILLIONS -- and less coverage than Jon Stewart's "Rally".

All the "pundits" walk around the multiple Elephants in the roome -- they talk around the problems.

I've gotten to the point I can not listen to "news" programs, put half finished books down in disgust,

I leave the room when any of the mealy mouthed Republican liars come on TV. I can no longer listen to President Obama's well crafted, beautifully delivered crap.

In al-anon they always say, "look at what the drunk DOES, do not listen to what the drunk says".

I'm at that point.

Where is the defense of civil rights? Where is a strong defense of healthcare, a strong defense of Social Security, a strong defense of DEMOCRATIC VALUES? Who speaks for the MAJORITY?

I can't sleep. I am truly worried about the future of our country. I'm a first generation American who majored in American Studies, at Syracuse U. back when Vernon Parrington still meant something.

I'm angry.

I'm afraid we've lost, totally lost, the America I loved -- the highly imperfect nation that was moving more and more in the right (correct) direction. We are now lost. We've lost basic rights -- and the Konservatives want to take away everything that is left -- and no one even wants to TALK about it. No one wants to face this crap.

It a plutocracy -- and the really rich ARE above the law -- and, they like it that way

I'm just sick of this stuff.

No comments: