Friday, May 6, 2011

Lady Gaga Fugue

I found this on Pharyngula, then went to You Tube to listen. I think it interesting -- here is commentary from the composer:
----------------------------------------------------

"My friend Vincenzo Culotta plays my "Lady Gaga Fugue", a piece based on the theme from the song "Bad Romance" by Lady Gaga.
This should show how counterpoint can be fun and up to date ;)

Here is the link for downloading the score:
http://www.giovannidettori.com/LadyGagaFugue.pdf

For those interested in compositional techniques: I didn't intend to write strict counterpoint, I just wanted to write music inspired by fugal writing of Baroque composers such as Bach, Vivaldi, Händel, Pergolesi, Corelli, etc.
I tried to use a particular dissonance treatment that - in my opinion - adds some 'modern spice' to the overall sound. This is why I believe this piece shouldn't be performed much more slowly than this"

No comments: