Thursday, January 26, 2012

Paula Deen Eats a Cheeseburger

I saw this today From ABC "News":

Last week, TV chef Paula Deen announced that she’s been suffering from type 2 diabetes for the past three years. She acknowledged that a person has “to make changes in your life” but apparently, Deen hasn’t apparently changed all that much. TMZ posted a photo of Deen woolfing down a cheeseburger on Monday while on a 7-day Caribbean cruise. The 65-year-old chef was hosting her annual Party at Sea vacation for 400 fans. TMZ says Deen also had fries on her plate.


This is news? They've got nothing better to do? As a DIABETIC myself -- I ask, "What's WRONG with a Cheeseburger?". Do these folks know ANYTHING about diabetes? What do they think you are supposed to eat?

First you have to have some sugar, some carbs (which are the biggest culprit in raising blood sugar.

Guess what? Fresh Fruit are NOT the best thing to eat -- loaded with SUGAR. Figure that as a diabetic you are eating a "modified Atkins Diet" (direct quote from my Dr.). If you watch those french fries, watch sugar ans bread intake (carbs), and eat in moderation you will be O.K.

I get my A1C tested every six months -- it is always BELOW 7 (A1C: measures the AVERAGE blood glucose over an extended period of time -- in my case, 6 months). For a diabetic anything below 7 is very good. "Normal" is around 6.5 or lower.

Some folks carefully eat NO "refined" sugar -- but they still have lots of bread, cereal, etc. Then they say, "my diabetes is "uncontrollable" -- or, at least that's what they want you to think. According to my Dr., that is a load of CRAP. Take your meds, watch your diet, exercise, WATCH YOUR WEIGHT, and you will be more or less O.K.

I waited way too long to go to the Dr. -- as a result, I've suffered extensive peripheral neuropathy.  At least I don't have much pain, nor has it affected my eyes too much (whatever THAT means).

It was impressed on me that diabetes is a CHRONIC disease  --  you have it till you die, and it might well be one of the main causes of your death.

It is very difficult to control it with exercise, and some strange diet, alone.  That approach is often promoted by folks who DO NOT HAVE DIABETES. It's almost as if a diabetic has somehow "sinned", and has to "atone" by eating a tasteless diet.

Limit sugars, look for complex carbs (almost NO white RICE), and learn to control portions (my big problem) and you will be O.K. It is a "progressive disease", so meds, diet, etc. may well have to change over time. It IS controllable.

Again, what's wrong with a Cheeseburger?

No comments: