Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Friend Died Today

I just got an e-mail telling me a friend was found read in her apartment. I do not know the cause of death, nor do I know the time, or reason.

I want to know these things. I want to make sense of this. It just does not make sense to me.

Now, I'll mention meither her name, nor the place of her death -- she is entitled to her privacy.

I will mention that I found her alive, cute, appealing, and sweet. There was this touch of woodland sprite about her. At the same time she was scary smart and successful in a rather esoteric field of both pure and applied science.

This was a young person, one who had many years, many experiences before her. The "mommy" part of me wishes she had come to our home for a long visit. At times I still have the arrogance, the ego, to think we (Suzy and I) could have helped, could have made her "all better" --- even though I know that is not true.

So, it's farewell to someone I hoped to know better. Someone I was proud to call a friend, and who was connected to my past in a strange way -- one I did not imagine, until I met her.

I will have to cry now.

No comments: