Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Recreation

Today we went shooting. We attacked paper targets with various and sundry hand held firearms.

A couple of hours of bang-bang.

It's a great stress reducer.

It is also very reassuring to know I can defend myself if anything unthinkable were ever to happen. (with all the anti-this, and anti-that rhetoric being bandied about, with all the kill these folks, and kill those folks, crap being peddled by various "keepers of purity", with the different cases of folks being attacked, or burned out of their homes, I can't lie -- there are times I do get frightened)

It's also very tiring.

I did not realize how tired I was until we got home -- and I couldn't move. We do not shoot as often as we did a few years ago. Ammunition is much more expensive, I'm older, and I lost a lot of muscle mass in the last couple of years (I was sick for a while and lost a lot of weight).

I guess we use different muscles providing a stable platform, holding the pistol steady, and aiming while squeezing the trigger.

I shot quite well -- but, wow, am I tired. I don't remember being this sore a few years ago -- but, once again, I'm reminded -- age affects everything.

No comments: