Monday, February 11, 2013

Later Miles Davis

Over the years, I have listened to a lot of Miles Davis music.  When the complete Columbia recordings came out, I scraped together my nickels and pennies and bought it.  Seventy something CD's.  In addition I have all of his Prestige recordings on another 400 CD changer.  That one is just "Jazz"  --  a lot of 'Trane, Louis, Basie, Jazz Messengers, Jimmy Smith, the complete Ella Songbooks CD's.  Just about everything and everyone (Lucky Thompson, MJQ, Stuff Smith,  Joe Pass, Ellington, Jack McDuff, Charles Earland, Lou Donaldson, Freddie Hubbard, Blue Mitchell, Hank Mobley, Rollins, Stitt, Sonny Criss, Hamp Hawes, Jesica Williams, and -- well, you get the idea.).  It's a lot of stuff

The Columbia recordings are on a 400 CD changer I call "collections".  The complete JATP CD's, a 100 CD set of be-bop, ten CD sets of Django, Lester, Louis, a 7 CD Wynton series, etc., etc. 

As I hear more and more of the later Miles, I'm beginning to think it's music to forget him by.  Much of it is dated.  Quite a bit seems unmusical.  It's not like free jazz, nor does it sound like some of the more avant garde stuff like some by Albert Ayler.  I'm beginning to think later Miles will end up damaging his reputation.

I suspect my opinions are in a small minority.  I also realize he was not really playing Jazz at that point.  It just seems it was music for that moment.  That SPECIFIC moment.

You can listen to Bird, Diz, a lot of the other boppers, and their music is not as dated  --  even though it's 25-35 years older.  Some of Miles "classic" group stuff seems less dated than a lot of his late stuff.

Anyway, I'm just rambling here.  If ANYONE has any opinions, or can "set me straight"  --  I'm all ears.  Perhaps I'm just not listening to this stuff with an open mind  --  but, I can appreciate Cecil Taylor more than I do some of the late Miles on Columbia.


No comments: