Thursday, December 24, 2009

Football

Football -- the real thing, not American Football which does not use the foot at all (well, hardly at all).

Anyway, the despised Fox group of channels shows quite a lot of the various European Leagues. Though I'm not an expert (even though I played the game at a fair level back when I was young) I have become a fan of the Premier League in England. Arsenal, Man.U., Liverpool, Chelsea, etc. Every so often you get to see a level of skill, verve, intense play, that just is to marvel at. Amazing passes, both short and long, marvelous strikes -- it really is "the beautiful game".

For many years I was a fan of American Football -- it is just too damn violent these days. In addition, it seems to leave its players broken in mind and body -- so many old heroes who can barely walk. Others who have grave mental issues.

The "game" is no longer even a bit of a game -- nor is it really a business ----- unless you see using up your talent as fast as you can as a valid "business model".

It's time for American Football to lose what lustre it has.

I'd like to see "the beautiful game" take over -- but it seems to have its own problems: MATCH FIXING!!

Oh well, good thing I do not gamble

I think I'll stick to baseball from now on.

No comments: