Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Tuesday

Tuesday was a stay away from the news, calm down, lets do some cooking kind of day.

Therefore I smoked some spare ribs. Had to get some fresh charcoal, used up a whole bunch of hickory wood chunks (left out all winter to weather a bit - isn't that better than saying I was too lazy to put it away), used a bunch of mesquite -- because I had it -- and finished off the ribs in the oven.

they were great -- if I do say so myself. Next time, i'm going to make my own rub, make it a bit milder -- and use milder wood -- no hickory or mesquite -- perhaps some cherry, apple, or peach wood -- a little less forward, more subdued.

as it was, using up what I had around -- it worked out darn good -- nice bark, nice smoke ring, meat not over done, not dried out -- moist tender -- good ribs.

Of course, the NEXT time -- they will be even better.

No comments: