Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Robertson: Is Mac and Cheese a "Black Thing"?

Ah yes, "a black thing". Gee, are all those white folks out here who LOVE them some "gourmet mac and cheese", "lobster mac and cheese", or "lobster TRUFFLE mac and cheese" just "stealing" soul food -- or, do white folks also have a tradition of FROM SCRATCH mac and cheese - CRAFT as opposed to Kraft? I think we do. I think it's also rather commonplace to make mac and cheese, with a can of tuna and some peas, as in a "tuna noodle casserole".

Even I had that kind of stuff as a kid -- even though my mom was not born in the USA, so I never had one of those green bean casserole things until I was an adult, and had dinner with some "Waspy" friends. In fact, I never had "Waldorf Salad", or "Ambrosia" until eating with those same folks.

So, I found the stuff many "foodies" make fun of today as EXOTIC, while to me Polenta, Octopus, Squid, Gnocchi, and various other current favs. were beyond old hat.

"Is that a black thing?" --- casual white racism!
-------------------------------------

No comments: