Friday, December 14, 2012

Shooting

There was another mass shooting today.  I believe the current body count is 28, including the shooter - who, it has been reported, shot himself.  TWENTY of the dead are children from the ages of 5 to 10. 

This is insane. 

Current reports say he used two pistols  --  a Glock and a Sig Sauer.  Both are fine weapons.  He must have been proficient with these weapons. 

In fact I own both Glocks and Sigs.  I use them to put holes in paper.  I don't hunt.  I am too old to tramp through the woods, and will not shoot animals from preselected "stands", near fields where I've planted all sorts of "deer candy", corn, etc.  I think the animal should have a decent chance to avoid being slaughtered.

I am not a proponent of gun control  --  this in spite of the fact I'm fiercely beyond liberal on most, if not all, other issues.  In other words, I'm one of those who supports ALL of The Bill Of Rights  --  not just one or two Amendments.

At the same time, these insane killing sprees have to stop.  We have to stop them. 

How?

I don't know.  I do know that N.Y.C. has some of the most stringent gun laws.  It's difficult to legally own or carry a gun - especially a hand gun - yet, when I lived in N.Y., when I was younger and tended bar, I could have obtained a pistol any time I wanted one.

They were all over the place.

I suspect Mayor Bloomberg, and most of the other pooh-bahs are not familiar with the segments of society I hung around with.  They were not criminals - but most were "street wise".  You have no idea how many illegal guns I was exposed to in my bartending career.

So  --  in my opinion, making guns illegal just does not work.  There has to be another way.  Unfortunately, most of the gun owners are of no help at all  --  they see any limitation on their right to own anything they want as "insane regulation".

Either we heal society or do better background checks - with a 20 day waiting period or so.

I vote for healing society.  We are at a point where there are millions of hopeless people in these United States.  I'm amazed we do not have more violence.  We need a better "safety net", better mental health facilities.  We need to give folks HOPE.  Hope that a real job is possible.  Hope that a real education is possible.  Hope that better medical facilities are available.

No one should EVER go bankrupt because they got sick.  We need a better society  --  because this "dog eat dog", Ayn Rand crap is having unintended consequences.

Meanwhile, this shooting, like all the others, is insane.

2 comments:

Classof65 said...

We cannot turn every facility into fortresses, not schools, malls, movie theaters. And, you're right, gun control will not work, although we could ban semi-automatic assault rifles - they are of no use to hunters and are primarily designed to kill people.

When the U.S. closed the mental hospitals, putting sick people out on their own, without supervision and with no one to make sure that sick people took the medicine prescribed for them, the U.S. gave up the capability to monitor and to help the sick people. And, without proper health insurance, sick people are going to continue to act on their impulses, some of which lead to homicide in large doses.

We are helpless without governmental recognition of the roots of the problem and action to remedy it.

Tina E. said...

Today the AR15 style rifle is the choice of many target shooters, and many hunters. It has been adapted to a number of new cartridges that work well for various forms of hunting -- from varmints to deer.

The predominant military rifle of the time is usually favored by hunters. Granted the Garand never became a major hunting weapon, but the 30-06 cartridge was the favored all-around one for many years. Then again, after WWII the '03 Springfield and the 303 British Enfield were used by lots of folks to kill deer, black bear, etc.

So, the idea that the semi-automatic rifle is not used for hunting is a mistake.

The AR15 rifle is also seen as more inherently accurate than most bolt action rifles -- that's why they have taken over for target shooting competition.

The civilian version of our military weapon is far more versatile than most anti-gun folks would have you believe.