Thursday, March 5, 2015

Klapa Opatija - Marijana

Another one of those songs my folks would sing at parties, weddings, dances, back when I was a kid.  I remember thinking it was so "foreign", so "uncool".  As I grew older and those occasions dwindled I began to realize how actually "cool" it was that I was a part of something that would go away, at least in my immediate circle, during my lifetime.  There is something sweet, and innocent about those impromptu sing-a longs.

Lately I've been looking back in ways I never have before.  I think it's more than just getting old -- perhaps it is a further realization that I'm mortal, that most of my life has past, that I have not celebrated my good fortune or cherished my memories enough.  There isn't that much forward to look at when your 75.  Looking back and realizing how very lucky I've been seems appropriate now. 

The story isn't over, but a better understanding of the past might be appropriate now.


No comments: