Saturday, January 8, 2011

My country! My country -- what has happened to my country?

Many years ago, I majored in American Civilization at The Maxwell School of Citizenship, Syracuse University.

I'm a first generation American. I loved this country so much I wanted to study it, to immerse myself in its past, present, and future. I saw its great promise. I saw its faults, anf how it worked to bring the promise of America to ALL its citizens.

That has gone. It has been lost. We have become small, mean, ignorant, and uneducated. Facts, the truth, no longer mean ANYTHING.

We have replaced reason, and the ideals of The Enlightenment with pseudo-religiosity. We have replaced truth with bigger and bigger lies. Our egalitarian ideals have foundered on the shoals of race, ethnicity, and sect.

I've lost my country -- as a result, I'm afraid my country has lost me.

We now have a good old fashioned plutocracy -- with the usual "divide and conquer" policies. Our "masters of the universe" have no idea the forces they have unleashed.

I fear we are to be torn asunder -- or, our "leaders" in a major act of "bipartisan" legislation will (somehow) totally revoke The Bill of Rights (but, only for the "current emergency" - which is FOREVER!).

My country is lost.

No comments: