Tuesday, December 16, 2008

fishing stuff

Since it's really cold and windy out right now -- I do not want to go fishing. When I can't go -- I tend to talk about it.

Fishing is about accessories - rods, reels, line, hooks, lures, etc. In many ways it's about fashion. It's also about technology. Better rods, reels, line, lures, etc.

A baitcasting reel for fresh water fishing can cost over $400.00 -- not that long ago, prices like that were reserved for big game saltwater reels.

There are also brand spanking new rods out there. For example, a company named E21 makes "Carrot Stix" -- these high tech fishing rods are designed by Ken Whiting (called "the wizard of rods").

That's right -- we now have "rod designers" - they custom design the action for the specific species sought, and the specific fishing style used. Carrot Stix are made from NANO cellulose bio fibers (processed carrots), graphite, and Scandium - a super strong metal used by Smith & Wesson to make the frames of some of their ultra light weight revolvers.

These rods are supposed to be ultra light (in weight), sensitive, and very strong. You can have the combination of light weight, great stiffness ("heavy action"), strength, and flexibility.

Today we have flourocarbon lines that match the specific gravity of water - they just about disappear.

Among all the reels offered, Shimano has a couple that have computerized anti-backlash systems. Micro-processors that adjust spool brakeing to prevent over-runs (backlash).

As you can see, there's all sorts of high tech, and "designer" fishing equipment out there -- and I just covered a small portion of the fresh water fishing market.

Now, what is the cost benefit ratio withthis super expensive stuff?

I ask because I recently bought two baitcasting "combos" for $24.94 each. They consist of a nicely made graphite rod, and a name brand baitcasting reel. Granted this was a "CLOSEOUT!!" sale but the equipment seems very well made, well suited to its purpose, and tailored to my specific needs. Although the reels seem well made, with all the features I want, I hesitate to use them -- they don't cost enough.

The rods retail for $39.99, I'm not sure about the reel. The combo for $24.94 seems too good. Of course, a reel that was touted as "the next best thing" a couple of years ago - and sold for $130.00 - is now being flogged for $59.99.

So, what is the real price/value situation? When, and at what point, do you "get what you pay for"? Is fishing tackle now like audio equipment? Is the overall quality so much better than it was 30 years ago that today's mid-range stuff is better, or as good as, the "best" from back then?

Does that additional 2, 3, 4, 500.00 dollars just add minimal quality? Is it even perceptible by "another old lady", or an average angler?

Which brings more pleasure - owning "the best", or "discovering" the bargain?

Does that $50.00 hand crafted, swim bait earn its keep -- or does it just make you THINK you have an edge?

Another question -- would I buy all that expensive stuff if I could afford it? If I were younger, and as rabid about fishing as I was back then -- would I scrimp and save for that "magic rod" - the one that would give me that little edge?

Not long before I stopped going party boat fishing (this back on Long Island) to take care of my elderly mother, I bought a very nice rod for bottom fishing. It weighed about half of what a regular rod with that power weighed. It was like a feather (well, not quite - it just seemed that way). The difference it made was amazing. It was more sensitive, the light weight allowed me to set the hook quicker (helping to make up for my slower reflexes), and the light weight made it easier on my wrist, forearm, arm, and shoulder. Less pain the next day.

In that case, there really was a pronounced benefit - made a huge difference. Of course, I still used an old fiberglass rod I made back in the late 1970's. It was an very fast action, fairly light tip, with a heavy reinforced butt - an old Laminglass live bait rod blank that I trimmed a bit. That rod has caught 30 lb. Codfish, 32lb. Striped Bass, 12lb. Blackfish, 17lb Bluefish, 5lb. Seabass, countless Ling, and even a Lobster. It was not ideally suited to all those different forms of fishing -- but we managed.

Perhaps that's the real secret -- enthusiasm, trust, and a willingness to work at getting better skills -- if the super-duper equipment helps you, I guess it's worth it

No comments: