Thursday, December 25, 2008

Our Holiday

We had a very nice Christmas day. Nothing exciting, nothing extreme.

Suzy, the love of my life, was going to roast a Duck, along with Sweet Potatoes, and assorted veggies.

She has been working very hard this holiday season and I suggested we go out to eat.

She was adamant -- "I'm going to cook, I'm really into it."

Now, I knew she was really tired -- we tried to watch a movie last night and she zonked out almost immediately -- twice.

As the day progressed, it became very clear neither of us wanted to cook.

Where to go?

AH-HA -- CHINESE! That's right, we had a feast of Chinese food -- Crispy Duck; Salty, Peppery, Pork Chops; Orange Beef; Fried Dumplings; mixed veggies - stir fried. Brought home enough to keep me from getting hungry tomorrow.

The restaurant (The Great China) has good food. We are known there. It's usually not that busy.

Tonight was an exception. The place was packed. We got there early, as it was beginning to fill up. Quite a few of the folks there seemed to know each other. There was banter back and forth between a couple of tables, and the crowd seemed very relaxed.

Then a tall, handsome gentleman walked to a table right next to ours and asked a woman seated there, "Is this the Jewish place?" -- then they all laughed.

There was no "war on Christmas" there. There was none of the agonized "what do I say?" -- will they get offended if I say "Happy Holiday"? Is "Happy New Year" good enough?

I'd even bet some folks were celebrating Festivus.

This Chinese Restaurant was a neutral zone. You did not have to self censor. You were not going to offend anyone -- as a result all the folks looked relaxed and happy.

I had a great meal -- and a GREAT Christmas.

No comments: