Thursday, December 18, 2008

screwed again

I supported Hillary Clinton. I saw her as far better qualified, and far closer to being "progressive" in most of her positions. She is a "policy wonk", she's very, very, smart, and she works hard. She proved that as Senator from New York.

She lost. Obama won. I never quite understood why.

Doesn't matter. I supported Obama. I saw his charm, his enthusiasm. Granted, the McClurkin thing threw me, as did his admiration for Reagan. I believe in that same speech, he spoke of "the excesses of the 60's and 70's.

That told me he had no real knowledge of the 60's and 70's. That was the era that made it possible for him to become President. I remember thinking, "the 'excess' that gave HIM a chance to be president was O.K. -- but everything else needed a Reagan to destroy unions, question rights of women, and totally ignore the AIDS crisis (at least until Rock Hudson died)".

Now, Rick Warren, another right-wing-anti-gay-anti-women-anti-choice-preacher is giving the invocation at Obama's inauguration.

Wonderfuckingful!

This man (Obama) does not understand. If he does, we are due for another 4 or 8 years of no progress. Adding Warren is not about "diversity", it's not about "inclusion" -- it's about discrimination, and prejudice against a group of AMERICAN CITIZENS. It's about elevating a man who wants to make me disappear, do away with me, deny me equal rights with other citizens.

This is still a Secular Democratic Republic. Rick Warren is free to preach against me. He is free to deny me membership in his church. He can deny me marriage in his church. I do not give a damn about that.

What he should not be allowed to do is to force society to live by his rules, by his specific interpretation of his Holy Book. He hates me as much as Fred Phelps does -- he is just a little less violent about it.

This is about basic rights of citizenship, not about "inclusion", or "diversity".

Warren wants to deny me my rights -- it's as simple as that.

1 comment:

Jose Chung said...

To "do away with you?"

Isn't that a bit of an exaggeration? In the sense that it's false?