Thursday, December 25, 2008

Just You Wait

I'll be 70 in April. My right knee hurts. I've discovered allergies I never had before. Right shoulder barks if I try to do almost anything. For the first time in my life, my stomach complains if I happen to eat something it does not like. I now suffer from various and sundry GI "upsets". My feet are always numb -- and cold. Fingertips tingle -- lose all feeling and function when it's cold. Hips and back ache -- all the time.

It's called entering old age. Anyone who says "age is just a number" -- hasn't entered old age.

I still "feel" young, and often "think young" -- I just cannot do some of the things I set out to do.

When I was young, I played sports, was very fit and active. People wondered at how strong I was. Today, some of the "minor injuries" from the past come back to haunt me. Thumbs that were "sprained" now have much less strength, etc., etc., etc.

I've lost a significant amount of muscle mass in the last ten years.

This is what happens. If you continue to work out, and don't have any major bad habits to give up, I think you can push "entering old age" back a few years.

I'm not even sure about that -- many of my current complaints mirror those of my late Mother, a couple my late Father. Perhaps genetics has something to do with it-- no matter what you do.

Some years ago, I worked with an old guy selling cars. When you asked him how he felt -- all he'd say is "thank God I've got my mobility". As you age that phrase becomes more and more meaningful.

One good thing (thank you Martha Stewart) is beginning to accept the changes that come with advancing age. Stay fit, work out, walk, BUT -- do not negate the realities of advancing age. As they say about athletes, "stay within yourself".

No comments: