Sunday, March 28, 2010

"My" Music

I've been looking over some of the music i've posted on this blog. Though it covers some of the stuff I really like, it doesn't begin to do it justice.

As I listen again to some of the early Rock and roll -- do-wop, rock-a-billy, etc., I am sometimes amazed at its staying power. Great harmonies, wonderful treatment of songs.

Then there's all the different jazz pieces I've posted. Some of my favorite stuff just isn't on line. Brubecks "Balcony Rock" as done on his Jazz Goes To College album, a version of West End Blues on an old Billy Butterfield LP (with, i think, Bucky Pizzarelli on guitar), and so much other stuff. I saw Dylan at Gerdes before he was "Dylan" (snark!).

I remember Nina Simone when she OPENED for Miles at Town Hall -- and we would not let her off the stage -- she was THAT GREAT! Miles was a tad miffed, to say the least (I do not care what his reason, I hated the way he treated his audience.).

Rock and Roll shows at the N.Y. Paramount -- went with a guy who had a small flask in his pocket (this in the days before us white folks had ready access to grass) -- great stuff for a budding drunk. At that point in time, and for many years, I could drink just about anyone "Under the table".

That ability, later drug use, and blackouts just meant I LIVED the 60's and don't remember an awful lot. I met a lot of "important" people and either forgot them, or just blew them off -- oh well, good thing I got clean and sober in time to avoid too much exposure to the various plagues that afflicted the world in the 80's and on.

Anyway, back to the music -- I will continue to post more music in the future -- we do not live by bad news alone. In addition, there is so much going on, so much covered all over that I want to post stuff that resonates with me.

The entire Catholic Church mess just sickens me -- there will be more to come on that front.

More also on our strange economic situation. Beware the "double dip".

Enough now.

No comments: